[OFB Cafe] Fonts Question for the Gurus

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 24 21:18:17 CDT 2008

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Donald R Spoon <drspoon at sbcglobal.net> [07-24-08 19:19]:
>
>> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>>
>>> KDE would be kcontrol
>>> Gnome would be gnome-control-center
>>>
>>> Or I don't understand the question  ....
>>>

>> The only change I made was to replace KDM with GDM and this resulted in
>> some rather global changes on my screens.  It was most noticeable in the
>> Web apps that I use and the Desktop Icons.  I didn't make any changes
>> via kcontrol and I don't normally use Gnome so gnome-control-center
>> isn't a player here.
>>
>> I am just trying to understand how the Windows Manager I use can affect
>> these things...
>>
>> Maybe I need to change my Depends...  ;-)
>>

> If the Web apts are FireFox and company, their fonts are controlled by
> gnome, gnome-control-center.

My bad...  I was inadvertently using the wrong terminology.

I was using the term 'Windows Manager" when I really meant "Display
Manager" like KDM, GDM, XDM, etc.  You can use any one of these with any
Window Manager (KDE, GNOME, ICEWM, etc.), and I was first using KDM on
KDE then switched back to GDM on KDE.  GNOME never entered the picture
for me!

Anyway, I have it figured out now.

Don Spoon