[OFB Cafe] Threading (was: BioFuels)

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jul 24 15:18:01 CDT 2008

On July 24, 2008 14:43:23 Rick Bowers wrote:
> At Thursday 7/24/2008 12:56, you wrote:
> >On July 24, 2008 12:52:59 Rick wrote:
> > > How does one see the in-reply-to: header? When I "show details" I never
> > > see that one.
> >
> >What are you using?  Your mail program doesn't seem to include any
> >identifying
> >information.
> >
> >In my case (KMail), I can just use View / Headers / All.  A quick look at
> > OE 6, shows me that "View / All headers" doesn't show me any more headers
> > than unchecking "all headers"!
>
> My previous message was sent from GMail, while logged into their web site.
>
> This message is sent from my email client. I use Eudora on Windows
> (can you tell?)

yes:

> The "In-Reply-To:" header does show, but it looks like the
> history/threading is displayed in the "References:" header. I'm not
> sure if all the messages from that thread are showing, though. I
> thought there were many more.

It's hard to say which header the program uses to create the thread, because
all that really matters is the message you are responding to - so the last ID
in References is enough.  There _are_ many more - I counted over a hundred -
but RFC2822 allows any program processing the header to truncate it at any
point.  Most keep just the last four or five IDs.

Yours uses X-Mailer (any program can add any X- header, and this was common
before User-Agent was an accepted header).

So the parent message is
<78bfce920807240852q61260c5co9e78c7e7d065874 at mail.gmail.com> and it doesn't
matter which header is used.
--