[OFB Cafe] Threading

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 23 21:26:55 CDT 2008

On July 23, 2008 23:18:29 Kris Deugau wrote:

> Hmm.  Threads fine here with Seamonkey (and therefore presumably
> Thunderbird, and any of the relabeled derivatives and forks of same).
>
> KMail must not be following the sendmail credo of "Be liberal in what
> you accept, strict in what you send".  <g>

Sure it is - the problem is what do you use as the parent in the thread, when
every message ID in the thread is listed?  KMail's problem is that it's using
the first one - which is a valid interpretation of RFC2822, imo - but would
work better if it used the last.  Or, if it can't figure out a single parent
from In-Reply-To, use the References header - however, this isn't guaranteed
because mailer's are permitted to truncate References at any size, and they
aren't required to truncate oldest first.

I'll file a bug report against KMail, because the behaviour could be better,
but it's only necessary because Windows Mail is misbehaving.
--
derek