[OFB Cafe] Beatitudes and Social Darwinism (was Re: Bio Fuels)

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 23 21:16:21 CDT 2008

On July 23, 2008 22:43:30 Timothy Butler wrote:

> Civilized society, whatever
> that does mean, wouldn't work if we start thinking in terms of social
> Darwinism.

I beg to differ.  imo, Civilization _is_ social Darwinism.  "Getting along"
has incredible benefits :-)  iirc, Darwin didn't coin the term "survival of
the fittest", and didn't agree with it, but even he would concede
that "fittest" doesn't equate to "strongest".  If it was survival of the
strongest, the world would be populated with Lions & Tigers & Bears, oh my,
and Mankind would never have developed far enough to invent weapons of
simple, let alone mass, destruction.
--
derek