[OFB Cafe] Electoral College (was Re: Bio Fuels)

Patrick Shanahan patrick.shanahan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:57:14 CDT 2008

* Derek Broughton <auspex at pointerstop.ca> [07-22-08 20:11]:

> I've heard Americans say that it's undemocratic to have more than two
> candidates for an office.

There are almost always a third and sometimes a fourth party with a
nonimation running for president.  Alf Langdon ran for years and J
Ross Perot ran once on his own money.

> I don't know if that's a common belief, but it both makes my skin
> crawl - and I see where they're coming from.  In our system of "first
> past the post" ensures that if we have 5 candidates for a post, the
> winner rarely needs more than 30% of the vote.  At least you guys get
> a clear winner almost every time.

Not always :^), sometimes it requires a "hanging chad", if you will.
But its like a looser at cards, someone is always crying.  Politics is
not the cleanest game in town.....