[OFB Cafe] Threading (was: BioFuels)

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Tue Jul 22 13:56:32 CDT 2008

From: Derek Broughton

> Chris, you insist you know more about how to make mail programs function
> correctly than the rest of us put together, so please fix yours.  Every post
> you make starts a new thread

Derek,
I'll just offer an interesting observation.  I switched Windows Live Mail to "threaded view" and it displays an entire long thread, such as the BioFuels one, absolutely beautifully - no broken threads/posts, etc..  I can take a screen shot of it if you want and send it to you by private email so you can see for yourself.

This might suggest that perhaps Windows Live Mail is better at threading than whatever you're using <pickin' 'em and a-layin' 'em down, a-headin' for cover before I get lambasted for suggesting such a thing!!!!>

On a more serious note, I remember this "problem" with Outlook Express and threading on email lists.  When we had the computer store many years ago I gave one of my employees the task of getting rid of GNU Mailman and writing a PHP/MySQL based email list manager program.  Well, he didn't do exactly what I wanted and instead set up a PHP/MySQL based program called "Mailgust".  As it turned out, Mailgust had the same problem with threading that Mailman had, and he re-wrote part of the code for Mailgust and fixed it somehow.  After he "fixed" the list server, posts made with Outlook Express threaded properly for other people on the list using more crippled <g> email clients like Thunderbird, KMail, etc..

I wish I could remember more of the details, but it has something to do with OE and its derivatives not using or generating some header that other email clients depend on for threading.

[Note to Patrick and whoever else has more smartass Microsoft comments: Save it for somebody who cares.........]
--
Chris