[OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Tue Jul 22 09:06:02 CDT 2008

From: Derek Broughton
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:37 AM
To: An Open Discussion Forum on Just About Everything,Especially for Techies.
Subject: Re: [OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

> Remove the subsidies from oil, and Chris's biofuels would at least get a fair
> break.  Whether it's true or not that ethanol and biodiesel could help the
> energy crunch, it'll never have a chance with current oil subsidies.

I'm not going to say that biofuels in its current iteration is THE solution to being petroleum-free.  It's a stepping stone since the fuels work with today's engine technology with little or no modifications.

Our biofuels are going to get a fair break - just not in the US.  Sweden announced not too long ago that they're going to be the first country on earth to be totally petroleum free by the year 2019.  When my wife saw that she beamed with pride and said, "That's it - we're moving our biodiesel refinery to Sweden."  Her family is going to run it - we're simply going to provide the money and expertise to get it going, being we have two years experience operating a refinery.

I see no real future in biofuels in the US because the government looks at the entire energy industry as a huge windfall revenue source - all controlled by Big Oil.  There is no incentive whatsoever to switch to any type of alternative and all we really have is token efforts that are allowed to operate under strict taxation and regulation so as to [deliberately] provide no real competition to Big Oil.

It's a battle absolutely nobody will win in America.
--
Chris