[OFB Cafe] Old 35 MM Camera Gear

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 22:54:55 CDT 2008

All the talk about cameras energized me to pull out the old 35 mm film
camera I got back in 1973.  It is a Pentax ES and I also have the 85-210
Takumar Zoom lens along with a Sigma 28-80 that can do some Macro as
well as the Zoom feature.  There was a UV filter in there as well as a
polarization filter (I think).  A non-working shoe-mount flash rounds
out the lot.

Alas, some of the gear is in need of repair.  The ES body is suffering
from some corrosion, especially on the battery-test button on top.  I
suspect the light meter isn't working too well, and I would bet it needs
a good lube job as well as replacemet of some of the light seals
inside.  I found a guy just up the road in Mesquite, TX that does camera
repairs and says he can have it working like new for about $50 +
shipping.  If he can't fix it, then the money is refunded.  He is an old
retired geezer like me (73) and does this in his "spare" time <grin>.
Been doing camera repairs for 43 years he claims!  The only drawback is
he is slow 3-4 weeks "turn-around" unless you want to pay extra for a
quick turn (2 weeks).

The Takumar has some discolorizations on the first piece of "glass" that
appear to be on the inside.  They are at about every 120 degrees around
the periphery of the glass, and appear to be a problem with a coating if
I had to guess.   It reminds me of the separations you see on cars with
sun-film on it that is starting to separate.  I suspect this "repair"
isn't going to be easy or cheap...  Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

I have been working outside on my son's pickup all day.  The passenger's
external door handle was busted and I figured I could "fix" it...  BAD
Mistake!  Nothing went right until I managed to injure myself to the
point of bleeding profusely from all the scrapes and minor cuts on my
arms and hands.  Once baptized by my blood, the various parts started
cooperating and I finally had it "fixed" by  about 1900.   Isn't it
interesting how your definition of "fixed" changes according to time and
temperature?  (and blood loss)  :-)

Ain't gonna do that again...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-