[OFB Cafe] another win98 question

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Sun Jul 20 11:15:04 CDT 2008

said Rick:

| I'm pretty sure you can install Win98 SE over Win 98. It's been a lot of
| years since I've done that.

that would be great.

| You should be able to boot directly from the Win98SE CD (you may have to
| change your BIOS settings and/or hit F8 immediately after POST.

nah. this is a little toshiba libretto and it won't boot from anything
except floppy and hard drive. the drive -- and the win 98 there now -- are
from a thinkpad preload. somewhere on the drive is an image of the win 98
cd, i think, not that that matters. maybe i could make a primary
partition, copy the 98 cd to it, do osmething to get the 'puter to boot
that, do the install, and delete the partition or at least try to put a
linux install there. but whatever i do, it will involve a floppy boot. no
way around that. or i suppose i could copy the cd to a usb stick. or yank
the drive and put it into a different machine for the install, then put it
back into the libretto and hear it scream . . .

but if i can install se over plain 98, that would go a long way toward
solving the problem, which is getting the wireless pcmcia card to work.
--
dep

Get "Right By Me," the exciting new album from Marjorie Thompson
available now at http://www.marjoriethompson.com