[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 15 07:52:37 CDT 2008

On July 14, 2008 23:34:42 Timothy Butler wrote:

> > related, kinda: i have two machines here that have xp installs on
> > seldom-booted partitions. seems to me there ought to be a way to point
> > wine to them and run apps using the genuine windows code, or at
> > least some of it. has anybody done this?

Not for many many years, but sure you can tell Wine to run any apps with
the "native" dlls.  That doesn't always improve the chance of it running.

> > apparently there is no way to get vmware to
> > boot an existing partition, which is maybe the stupidest thing in the

Not true.  I've done it, though again not for years.  It's called, iirc, "raw
disk" support.  It's very complicated, and again, like the Wine solution,
doesn't guarantee that things work any better.

> 	I'm not sure about on Linux, but I'm fairly certain on Intel Macs,
> Parallels will boot existing partitions. Might want to see if that is
> true in the Linux version as well. Or what about Virtual Box? Qemu?

I'm pretty sure VirtualBox can't do it.
--
derek