[OFB Cafe] Cafe List

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Sat Jul 12 21:25:04 CDT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> I had it on Vista, liked IE7, hated Vista.  I really should get around to
> downloading it on the XP machines I use, as it's way better than IE6.

I'm not too fond of Vista (I decided to see if Vista's Media Center was
any smarter than XP's;  evidence to date suggests it's just differently
stupid), and my brief glimpses of IE7 here and there haven't gained a
convert on that front either.

It's not that I think it's a bad browser...  (well, I do;  there's no
way to disable or modify certain behaviours that are Just Wrong Dammit!)
it's that the interface keeps *changing*, and I've got better things to
do with my time than continuously relearn how to use the software tools.
  (The most obvious, trivial misfeature is the menu bar (and the default
lack thereof - something like Vista's version of Windows Explorer, come
to think of it) - the menu bar goes **ABOVE** any other bits and pieces,
not below.)

Netscape and its various children, derivatives, and remerged forks have
one major point on their side in that respect - both the on-disk profile
data *and* the visible user interface have not changed significantly
more than once (and that a *relatively* minor change) since the early
90s.  What's more, even with some of the UI changes, other people in my
boat care enough to create a theme/skin to make the UI at least work the
way it useta.

-kgd