[OFB Cafe] My first post (here)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Jul 9 17:27:44 CDT 2008

On Jul 9, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Peter Hollings wrote:

> "They need your SSN because AT&T requires an SSN for new service
> activation (for a credit check, I'm fairly certain)."  Naw! The SSN is
> the key in the gubbermint's database, so they need it to link up your
> calls with all the other info.  Don't believe me? See if you can
> open an
> account without a SSN. Offer to make a big deposit, etc.

	They'll do it without an SSN for a Go Phone prepaid account. However,
the iPhone 3G is not available in the prepaid variety. It was well
documented that you could activate a iPhone 2.5G as a Go Phone by
simply entering 999-99-9999 as your SSN. The credit check would fail
and it would offer the Go Phone option.

Timothy R. Butler | "Philosophy  always  requires  something  more,
Editor, OfB.biz   | requires the eternal,  the true, in contrast to
tbutler at ofb.biz   | which even the fullest existence as such is but
timothybutler.us  | a happy moment."
                                                -- Søren Kierkegaard