[OFB Cafe] My first post (here)

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Wed Jul 9 08:40:55 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Peter Hollings
<PeterHollings at comcast.net> wrote:
>  "They need your SSN because AT&T requires an SSN for new service
> activation (for a credit check, I'm fairly certain)."  Naw! The SSN is
> the key in the gubbermint's database, so they need it to link up your
> calls with all the other info.  Don't believe me? See if you can open an
> account without a SSN. Offer to make a big deposit, etc.

You can get a cell phone (even an iPhone) from AT&T without giving
them your SSN;  they simply treat you as if you failed their credit
check.  Since payments for cell usage are paid in arrears, they either
need to be sure of your ability to pay the bill (via a credit check),
or you need to guarantee the payments with a sizable deposit.    So,
you can walk into an Apple store without an SSN, just be sure you've
got an extra $250 to lend them for the term of your contract.

-Fred