[OFB Cafe] Old video cards

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Thu Jan 31 10:52:10 CST 2008

Daniel Cassidy wrote:
> Is it FF7 by any chance?

Yep.  <g>

>> New(er) cards don't support this (via Direct3D at any rate).
>>
>> Any suggestions on what chipset to look for?  I think the ATI Rage 128
>> is about the right age;  I'm not sure what the nVidia equivalent is.
>
> The nVidia equivalent is the RIVA TNT2, but that doesn't support 8 bit
> textures either.

Eeep.  :(  Where did you find this documented?  I've done a bit of
searching but haven't been able to turn up anything useful.

> It will definitely work with the 3dfx Voodoo3, which
> is surely a better choice than the others in any case.

... assuming I can find one, since they're no longer made.

*sigh*  I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying a couple of cards of
various chipset vintages and testing them live.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!