[OFB Cafe] clean air

Daniel Cassidy foss-cafe at danielcassidy.me.uk
Mon Jan 28 04:10:04 CST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 9:17 PM, dep <dep at linuxandmain.com> wrote:
> am wondering . . . surely this exists, but i've not seen it anywhere.
>
> there is surely some kind of good filter filter/fan system for computers,
> to keep the dust and stuff out. anybody know of such? i've just put
> together a new machine, and i am eager for it to continue to have pristine
> innards.

My Antec Sonata cases have a removable filter placed in front of the
main intake fan at the front of the case, which seems to work fairly
well for what it is (there is always very little dust on the fan).

Unfortunately, it suffers from a couple of major design flaws:

* The filter is removed from the *bottom* of the case, meaning one has
to turn the whole thing upside down to get at it, which usually means
removing all peripherals and lugging the case about, and is almost as
much effort as opening the case up and cleaning inside.

* There are also intake vents along the side of the case, which nicely
spell out "Antec" in dust along the interior, as if to remind you
who's responsible for such a travesty of design.

That's my only experience similar to what you describe, and frankly I
don't care to repeat it :).

Never mind,
Dan.