[OFB Cafe] Dead Fan on ATI Card

Paul Ollion pollion at online.fr
Mon Feb 25 02:00:44 CST 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008 02:53, Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I heard this really horrible sound out of my trusty old Dell, and
> realized relatively quickly one of its fans must be going out. I
> opened it up and isolated it down to the GPU's fan. The card is a
> Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 megs of ram -- it's five years old, but
> still a decent card. Question, does anyone know a way to buy a new
> fan for that card? The part number for the fan is:
>
> 	PN7120004100
>
> 	ATI/AMD has the helpful advice that goes like this:
>
> 	"Noisy Fan or Fan Failure
> The fans on ATI graphics cards are not user replaceable parts. To
> avoid any complications due to any possible damage that may have been
> caused by the fan's failure or degraded functionality, the entire
> card should be replaced. If the card is currently under warranty and
> built by ATI, you can fill out and submit the online warranty request
> form at http://www.ati.amd.com/rma."
>
> 	So much for buying a new fan from them!

Hello Tim

They always say this, it is good for their business, but are you sure that ATI
make their own special fans for their cards ? it should be expensive;  There
may be a standard model, available in industry, which can replace your  dead
fan, It should work as long as it is the same power and about the same size.
In Europe there are hundreds of different fans on

 www.radiospares

for instance.

--
Paul Ollion