[OFB Cafe] Dead Fan on ATI Card

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Feb 24 21:54:11 CST 2008

>> 	Alternately, if it really is completely dead, y'all have a
>> suggestion for a card that is at least as good that doesn't cost too
>> terribly much? If I go that route, I'd probably want to find a
>> DirectX 10 compatible card -- this computer is my "lab" machine on
>> which I usually try to keep a copy of Windows so that I can come up
>> to solutions to problems for my clients. I was planning to put a copy
>> of Vista Ultimate on it (gasp), in fact, as a dual boot with XP. As
>> long as it runs Vista, I'd like it to run Aero.
>
> I prefer nVidia, but when you "talk" Vista, I can't help
> you......sorry....no offense intended.

	Well, I don't like it any more than you do, Fred. But, I keep one
"unclean" system so I can stay up-to-date with the systems I work on.
This is my designated box for the task, but I'd like to go with
something that is good for *nix too. There are a few Vista systems in
my clients' mix these days. That and my former-Microsoftie uncle
obtained Windows Vista Ultimate for a ridiculously low price, so I
figured I should try it somewhere...

	Never fear, this is my five year old test box; I'm still firmly in
UNIX land otherwise, as always.

	I've been an ATI person, but I have nothing against nVidia. What do
you like in the PNY nVidia range you mention?

Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the
window-panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot