[OFB Cafe] PD: Something to Fan the Flames... OFB Endorses Candidates

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Tue Feb 12 15:39:21 CST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

>> http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/
>> roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=2&vote=00015
>>
>> McCain went on record today to say that he doesn't think the
>> constitution is worth the paper it's printed on.   Clinton, the other
>> republican running for president, had more important things to do
>> than
>> to weigh in on the debate.   Obama was the only major candidate to
>> say
>> that the fourth amendment means anything.
>>
>> Anyone who is aware of this fact, and still casts a vote for McCain
>> or
>> Clinton deserves the police state they'll get.
>
>    Fred, perhaps you can enlighten me on this, because I've thought
> about it a lot. I oppose the PATRIOT Act and a lot of the other
> excesses of the Bush Administration (despite being a Republican --
> that's why I liked Ron Paul, though he had no chance). I've published
> a lengthy critique of the PATRIOT Act on my site, even. That said, I
> don't understand this bill. The government orders companies like AT&T
> to cooperate, and the companies do so. Companies that don't cooperate
> face the potential of serious government inference, right? So, the
> companies cooperate. Now, having cooperated in good faith, the Feds
> pull out their support of the companies and let them hang?

The companies were aware that they were doing something illegal, but
did it anyway.   "just following orders" is never an excuse.  If at&t
is let off the hook, it sends a message that it's easier and safer to
help the government do illegal things than to tell them off the way
qwest did.

>    As a consumer, I don't want my ISP spying on me -- make no mistake
> about it. But, if the government is the one that initiated the
> spying, I shouldn't be able to sue the ISP, I should have to take up
> my case against the government, it seems to me.
>
>    Am I missing something? I'm genuinely curious, because, like I
> said,
> I agree with you in principle on the issue this arises from, I'm just
> not sure the proper place of the liability is in the private sector
> when the problem was one in the public sector. Wouldn't this set a
> dangerous precedent where companies are damned if they don't
> cooperate with the government, but also must fear being damned if
> they do and the government's policy becomes unpopular? It seems to
> me, if nothing else, the government should be obligated to pay
> whatever settlements the ISPs end up having to make.
>
>    Incidentally, I'm not sure how Sen. Clinton is a Republican

She's a war hawk, a corporate shill, and an authoritarian.  That's the
republican platform to a 't'.