[OFB Cafe] Year End Thoughts and Discoveries

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 19:33:06 CST 2008

First of all, Happy New Year to all on the list!  I know that some have
already had their celebrations, but I will lift a Root Beer in a toast
to you at midnight anyway!

I made a discovery today!  That goes to prove that you can always learn
something new...  It is probably old knowledge to most of you on this
list, but your "punishment" for not telling me about it sooner is to sit
through my impressions!  It is something called CDN or Content Delivery
Networks.  It all started with one of the blogs I read that is run by 3
lawyers up in Minnesota.  They are fine exemplars of the intelligent but
technically unsophisticated people that seem to gather our attention.
Here is a link to their story and how they became aware of CDNs:

 http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2008/12/022435.php

This is really neat tech, and it looks like their web hosts are pretty
sharp!  What an amazing defense against the DOS attacks while improving
content delivery to the end user.  I looked at the Wikipedia entry for
CDNs and noticed that BitTorrent is a P2P version of the CDN concepts.
For the record, I just used BitTorrent for the first time last week...

Don't forget to eat some Ham Hocks, Black-eyed Peas, and Collard Greens
tomorrow!  That will insure "good luck:" in the new year.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-