[OFB Cafe] Best, Affordable Gigabit Router

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Dec 21 17:10:55 CST 2008

> I can't claim to answer your question, but maybe I can insert
> another bit of info...  You probably know all this stuff anyway, but
> I will press on from a position of ignorance like I usually do!

	You're too modest, Don!

> I have the WRT54GS, which is quite similar to the one you are
> considering.  In fact, the GL is just a "modernized" G model that
> can be hacked with Linux firmware rather easily.  That is supported
> by Linksys too!  There are some advantages to the "hack" in that it
> opens up several features that don't come "stock" with the Cisco
> firmware.

	That does intrigue me. I have, for a WAP, a WRT54G v. 2, which is
essentially the same as the GL (i.e. it was from back when Linksys
used Linux for its firmware in the standard model). I've always been
hesitant to play with its firmware and risk bricking it, but one that
is specifically made to support alternative firmware (i.e. the GL)
seems safer to do that one.

	Are you using dd-wrt or something like that on your router?

> Second Point:  Your INTERNET connection speed is limited by the
> DSL / Cable Modem!  In my case, all it will do it 10 Mbs (not
> 100)!!  It makes no difference how fast the "downstream" equipment
> is, all you can get is 10 Mbs throughput!  Check out your DSL
> modem / bridge.  This is my original one, and I know for a fact it
> only does 10 Mbs out.

	Yup, that's where the problem originated. I have (or, I should say,
had) a BEFSR41, which is Linksys's old wired ethernet router from
before they offered a wi-fi one. It only had a 10 megabit port, so I
could never reach the actual 10mbps speed that Charter bumped me up to.

> Now to explain how I arrived at the above conclusions.  I have a
> Gigabyte LAN that has two Gigabyte switches in it (one upstairs and
> one downstairs).

	That's an interesting possibility. Perhaps it is more sensible to
have a discreet gigabit switch rather than one built in the router. I
wouldn't mind going with an N router, although as you say, maybe I
should wait. I haven't heard, is it suppose to finally be ratified soon?

	I suppose if I went with an Apple Airport I'd feel pretty safe about
going the N route, but I'm not sure I really want to pony up the extra
cash Apple wants for its router over other routers, especially since
Linksys stuff has typically served me well.

> Currently I can run VNC servers / clients on all my computers in the
> house over my existing connections and I don't experience any
> noticeable delays or artifacts on games, videos, etc.  This is even
> true on my laptops running over the wireless connections!  For a
> time, I was viewing videos from my son's upstairs Myth server on my
> laptop downstairs!  It wasn't HDTV (didn't have the right
> equipment), but it was entirely useable and saved wear and tear on
> these old arthritic knees!

	Nice, thanks Don! I suppose just moving to something that isn't the
better part of a decade old ought to improve thigns!

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald