[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Aug 26 19:20:31 CDT 2008

> There's a reason that home prices and cost of living are so low, and
> yet relatively no one lives there.  It's not because people are just
> not aware of the wonderful culture of the midwest, or the great jobs
> or the wonderful things to do there, it's that none of those things
> exist.

	Clearly, you've not been to St. Louis (or did not see it very well),
so let me tell you about my fair city.  Only someone itching for a
fight not unhindered by inconvenient truths would make such a
statement, so I'll assume you're just being hyperbolic. Nevertheless,
here are 25 good things about St. Louis off the top of my head:

	1.) One of the best art museums in the nation -- almost totally free.

	2.) One of the premier, and oldest, botanical gardens, very low
admission.

	3.) Often called the best or second best orchestra in the nation,
with one of the best conductors in the nation.

	4.) One of the premier universities in the nation, which leads in
life sciences, Washington University.

	5.) One of the best research hospitals in the nation, Barnes-Jewish,
as well as one of the premier burn center hospitals and pediatric
hospitals.

	6.) One of the largest bio-tech hubs in the nation, with Monsanto and
the Danforth Plant Science Center.

	7.) One of the oldest and largest municipal parks, Forest Park.

	8.) The oldest and largest municipal outdoor theaters, the Muny.
Favored stage home of premier talent, including the original Broadway
performer of Old Deuteronomy in "Cats."

	9.) The oldest indoor pool west of the Mississippi, at my alma mater,
Lindenwood University.

	10.) One of the best known monuments in the world (the Gateway Arch)

	11.) A zoo often rated by zoological experts as one of the best or
the best in the nation -- also free admission.

	12.) The best baseball team in the world (second only to the Yankees
in World Series wins, and without the budget) with some of the best
attendance stats in the country.

	13.) Located on the awe inspiring Mississippi River with all the
opportunities that affords.

	14.) Within 10 miles of the spectacular Cahokia Mounds World
Historical Site, the largest Native American settlement uncovered in
above Central America.

	15.) Home of Daniel Boone

	16.) Home of the first Interstate Highway.

	17.) Major telecom companies calling St. Louis home: Savvis and
Charter Communications

	18.) The lowest cost of living of any major metropolitan area.

	19.) Lowest fuel prices, consistently.

	20.) Beautiful variety of terrain, ranging from plains in the north
to Ozark mountains in the south (the Ozarks themselves are historic as
the oldest mountain range in North America).

	21.) Relaxed, little city atmosphere while offering the benefits of a
2.5 million population metro area.

	22.) Great Italian food. Great peaches.

	23.) No toll roads.

	24.) Low taxes.

	25.) Low congestion for a major city.

	25.) Equal opportunity state politically: Democrats and Republicans
both fair well.

	BONUS: We have White Castle. Many major cities don't. What else need
one say?

Timothy R. Butler | "Every ant  knows the  formula of its ant-hill,
Editor, OfB.biz   | every  bee knows  the formula  of its  beehive.
tbutler at ofb.biz   | They know it  in their own way, not in our way.
timothybutler.us  | Only humankind does not know its own formula."
                                               -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky