[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Aug 22 21:26:15 CDT 2008

	Well, I'll start off with a comment to show I am a bastion of
objectiveness and neutrality (ha!). Obama is right on Net Neutrality.
McCain's tech specific policy stinks. There, I said it.

	(Of course, I don't vote with just one miniature part of policy in
mind when others affect it, but that's beside the point.)

> The dumb republican went on to appoint his even dumber friends to
> essential positions (he appointed his friend to be the head of FEMA,
> for instance, who was at least partly responsible for the deaths of
> thousands in the bungled aftermath of Katrina, it took them a week to
> get there!)

	FEMA did not work well, but honestly, people should not need FEMA.
Who in their right mind lives in a city below sea level anyway? But,
that's neither here nor there I suppose.

> whose policies have put America into war after war, caused

	Two, both of which Gore likely would have gone into as well, if he
followed in the footsteps of his former boss.

> put the economy in the crapper,

	You place far too much weight on the power of the government
concerning the economy. Our trade deficit is far more damaging to the
economy than anything the Bush administration (or the Clinton
administration) has done.

> made houses worth less than what is owed on them, and tanked our
> global reputation as a "shining beacon of freedom"...

	At least in Europe, I don't think that was hard. Places like France
didn't like the United States before. Are we less well liked? Sure,
but not dramatically so, I'd suggest. And, the winds of change have
put friendly governments in place in France and Germany...

> The smart democrat went on to teach at Harvard, win an Oscar and later
> accept a Nobel prize for his work in the Global Warming arena. You can

	Yes, for work that has been thoroughly brought to question by those
actually in the fields Gore like to talk about. And, the alarmist
propaganda so far has come without realistic solutions (that's perhaps
the biggest problem of all).

> bet that had he been allowed to win the election he wouldn't have
> spent the first 8 months of his first term on vacation, and would
> likely have read the memos exposing the attacks that Bin Laden was
> about to make on America.

	The ones that were already out during the Clinton administration?

> Now we are faced with the same scenario - a dumb senator (he graduated
> 894 out of 899 - fifth from the BOTTOM of his class - from the US
> Naval Academy at Annapolis) is going to be the republican nominee and
> a very bright senator is going to be the democratic nominee. The

	Don't blame me, I didn't vote for either of them in the primary.

> democrat taught law at Harvard, the republican can't remember how many
> houses he owns or what his position is on issues from hour to hour in

	So, Johnny doesn't know how many houses he owns (0) and Barry is to
naive to realize he is part of shady real estate dealings when buying
a home through his pal the corrupt political powerbroker. Frankly, I'd
hardly trust anyone coming out of the Illinois political machine right
now, and I'm rather fond of my neighboring state in which I spend a
lot of time.

> any given day. The republican has been caught in lie after lie, was
> proven to have cheated on his wife (where is this different than John
> Edwards, who is being lambasted in the press?) and will literally say
> *anything* to get elected.

	Confession helps restore one's reputation. It was also nearly 30
years ago.

> What do you think will happen to America if the dumb republican gets
> elected this time? I seriously doubt that we will make it through his
> first term and still be "America". A *republican* economist looked at
> McCain's economic policies and estimates that at least 3.5 TRILLION
> MORE DOLLARS will be added to the national debt in his first term
> alone! McCain has said that he would balance the budget in his first
> term, the economist said that it is simply NOT POSSIBLE, given his
> stances on lowering taxes and increased spending for even more wars.

	What "more wars" do you know about? Can we guarantee that Obama would
not get it to a war? (I doubt -- it's now a prerequisite to becoming
president to start at least one war, I believe).

	Do tell how Obama is going to pay for all of his government expansion
projects, such as his enormous health plan that will surely run over
budget...

	Of course, the chickens are coming home to roost. Sensible people
would have voted for Huckabee and our big discussion right now would
be about how to employ all the laid off IRS workers come next year.

Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats