[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Steven Hatfield stevenhatfield at mac.com
Fri Aug 22 17:54:33 CDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 5:12 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Fred A. Miller
> <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> I can't imagine anyone involved in opensource supporting both Linux
>> and that Marxist Obama. 'Guess we're even.
>
> Considering the free software movement and ideals are very practically
> communism, your statement is just more proof that you don't understand
> terms like "liberal", "Marxist", or "Communist."
>
> -Fred

I prefer to look at it from a year 2000 perspective.

In 2000, we had the opportunity to elect a very smart democrat or a
very dumb republican... and I don't mean to say that all republicans
are dumb, just the ones we get the chance to elect.  Bush could only
buy his way to a C average in college, for cryin' out loud!

Americans went with "dumb" and look what has happened...

The dumb republican went on to appoint his even dumber friends to
essential positions (he appointed his friend to be the head of FEMA,
for instance, who was at least partly responsible for the deaths of
thousands in the bungled aftermath of Katrina, it took them a week to
get there!) whose policies have put America into war after war, caused
us to be trillions of dollars in debt, put the economy in the crapper,
made houses worth less than what is owed on them, and tanked our
global reputation as a "shining beacon of freedom"... failed policies
both foreign and domestic. People in countries that could otherwise
have democracy look at our feeble attempt to bring democracy to Iraq
and have said "If that is democracy, you can keep it!".

He is a national shame.

The smart democrat went on to teach at Harvard, win an Oscar and later
accept a Nobel prize for his work in the Global Warming arena. You can
bet that had he been allowed to win the election he wouldn't have
spent the first 8 months of his first term on vacation, and would
likely have read the memos exposing the attacks that Bin Laden was
about to make on America. Had the smart democrat been in office, 8000+
Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis might still be alive
today.

But we'll never know because we had the dumb republican.

Now we are faced with the same scenario - a dumb senator (he graduated
894 out of 899 - fifth from the BOTTOM of his class - from the US
Naval Academy at Annapolis) is going to be the republican nominee and
a very bright senator is going to be the democratic nominee. The
democrat taught law at Harvard, the republican can't remember how many
houses he owns or what his position is on issues from hour to hour in
any given day. The republican has been caught in lie after lie, was
proven to have cheated on his wife (where is this different than John
Edwards, who is being lambasted in the press?) and will literally say
*anything* to get elected.

What do you think will happen to America if the dumb republican gets
elected this time? I seriously doubt that we will make it through his
first term and still be "America". A *republican* economist looked at
McCain's economic policies and estimates that at least 3.5 TRILLION
MORE DOLLARS will be added to the national debt in his first term
alone! McCain has said that he would balance the budget in his first
term, the economist said that it is simply NOT POSSIBLE, given his
stances on lowering taxes and increased spending for even more wars.

I think it is time for America to give the smart democrat a chance. He
can hardly do any worse!