[OFB Cafe] car parts on-line?

Rick rwbowers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:26:44 CDT 2008

On 8/13/08, Donald R Spoon <drspoon at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Rick Bowers wrote:
> >    I  need  to  purchase  several  parts for my car. I've been doing some
> >    on-line searching and it seems all the places I've found have received
> >    very poor ratings according to:
> >    [1]http://www.resellerratings.com/store/
> >    Here are some places I've looked at:
> >    [2]http://www.thepartsbin.com/
> >    [3]http://www.autopartswarehouse.com
> >    [4]http://www.truckperformance.com/
> >    [5]http://www.carpartswholesale.com
> >    [6]http://www.car-stuff.com/
> >    I  also tried [7]http://www.JCWhitney.Com but they don't seem to
> carry
> >    stock parts as much as they do custom parts.
> >    One  of  the  items  I  need  is a muffler. I've looked at Walker (for
> >    replacement), FlowMaster and MagnaFlow. I would prefer a quieter sound
> >    but  don't  mind  a  bit  of  throatiness.  For  the price, FlowMaster
> >    40-series  looks  good  as  does  Walker.  I don't know much about the
> >    various makes.
> >    I'm looking for recommendations for a muffler and a reputable place to
> >    buy  my  parts inexpensively. Has anyone used the places listed above?
> >    Was you experience good or bad?
> >    For my Dodge Durango, 5.9L, at a minimum, I need:
> >    - Rear muffler
> >    - Tail pipe
> >    - Fan clutch
> >    -  Left  front  bearing/hub assembly (too bad I can't just replace the
> >    bearings)
> >    Thanks, all.
> >    ~Rick
> >
> > References
> >
> >    1. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/
> >    2. http://www.thepartsbin.com/
> >    3. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/
> >    4. http://www.truckperformance.com/
> >    5. http://www.carpartswholesale.com/
> >    6. http://www.car-stuff.com/
> >    7. http://www.jcwhitney.com
> >
> I used JCWhitney once back in the 70's to get a replacement soft top for
> my '66 MGB.  It was about the only site that I could find that offered
> what I needed (OEM replacement).  The product shipped was great and on
> time.  I know this info is dated, but I would still go there to look for
> hard-to-find parts.  Lately, it has been a disappointment in their
> selection.
>
> Look on EBay and Craig's list.  Sometimes you can find some good deals
> on the strangest things!  Everything we have ordered from EBay recently
> (since Jan 08) has been delivered on-time and pretty much as
> advertised.  We only had one minor problem with a seller NOT packaging a
> pillow for shipping correctly.  The box arrived in horrible condition,
> but the pillow was not harmed.  It is a bit more risky than an
> established dealer, but usually you can get a track record  on EBay by
> reviewing the buyer's feedback for that seller.  It is published...
> warts and all.
>
> -Don Spoon-
>
> Thanks, Don.

I've used JCWhitney for years: well years ago. OEM replacement parts doesn't
seem to be in their scope. It seems they've stuck to custom and hard-to-find
parts. The other on-line places don't seem to be reliable. I'll give eBay a
shot.

~Rick

     OfB Cafe - [16]Cafe at ofb.biz
     Brought to you by your friends at Open for Business.
     DISCLAIMER:  The  views  expressed  on  this  mailinglist  are  the
     personal