[OFB Cafe] lightening

saki tjmc at torhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 12:15:07 CDT 2008

Rick Bowers wrote:

> And, based on my trip to the UK last year, measure of weight is still
> referenced in terms of "stones" -- even by the younger generation.
>
> Some old habits never die.

Yep, and in arguably the most impressive technical feat of the 20th
century (putting men on the moon and bringing them back) was done in
pounds and hundredweights and feet and inches IIRC!

Imperial measures when taught and learned correctly give one an amazing
versatility with numbers working in base 2, 3, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20,
28, 36, 56 and so on and so on. Today most young people (at least in the
UK) can't do mental arithmetic in base 10, and have little understanding
of the metric system.

12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 22 yards in a chain, 20 chains in
a furlong, 4 furlongs in a mile!

What's not to like?

Terence