[OFB Cafe] lightening

Peter Hollings PeterHollings at Comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 08:10:08 CDT 2008

Hi, Terence, no offense intended. Wish I could share your optimism about
the economy.  Take a look at http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig9/quinn5.html .

Comparative advantage is a useful concept when considering things like
resource costs, but aren't we really dealing here with labor cost
arbitrage? And what about the transitional costs that comparative
advantage ignores? Have the gains from cheap Chinese imports at Wallmart
exceeded the costs of lost jobs and have the winners compensated the
losers? It seems to me that if we cannot produce something that others
want to buy and if we continue to run a trade deficit then we will
ultimately have to sell off our hard assets to foreigners.

Peter